Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Ahh, the rewards of accomplishing a goal!


Well, my kids began the public library's summer reading program the beginning of June. The goal was to read 30 hours in order to get a one day pass to the local water park plus a few other little incentives along the way. But the great motivator was the water park. Fitting in the reward was a bit tricky between dentist appointments, planning a last minute trip to California, and starting my baby sitting job, today was the only day to enjoy the fruits of their dedication. And did they have fun!!!! We spent nearly the whole day there. I must say I was proud of my kids for accomplishing their goal, of course the younger two had to have mom's help especially Austin, as Ariana can read easy readers. But reaching a goal, is reaching a goal whether you do it it a lone or with help. I believe getting in the habit while young will greatly enhance one's life. As a missionary I saw how effective goal setting can be. And boy, is it awesome when you accomplish your goal!

The slides were a big hit!




Lounging in the wave pool

6 comments:

Tammi said...

That is awesome! Congratulations to you all for meeting your goal and enjoying what looks like such a fun day at the water park! I too beleive it is very important to learn at a young age to set and then reach certain goals! Good job to you all! What a great idea! Will have to look into that in this area next summer! We love books and love to read and Kaleigh is starting to read a lot more on her own now. Would be good practice for mine to set and reach goals and then experience their rewards as well! Thanks for sharing! Great pictures!

Joseph and Tiffany said...

Very cute. It looks like they had fun and learned a good lesson in the meantime too.

Lynette said...

Great work kids! This was our first year participating in the program. It really helped me to remember to take the time to read to Riley.

Christina Beach said...

You are so inspiring!! What a great goal for them. You really are a terrific Mom!!

The Sorensen Bunch said...

Charity- You are brave to take on trips alone...however I am going to be int he same boat when my kiddo get a litle older--so that I do not have to pay for a plane ticket to fly someonoe out to drive with me (on top of the gas and trip alone)-You kids are DARLING--you always have them in cute outfits with cute hair! I understand the panick of losing a child or two. I always feel like a the mother who lived in a shoe who had too many children and that everyone around me thinks the same thing! We would love to meet up with you sometime. We just got back from vacation with schol starting next week...so it may be a little bit until the dust settles. My in-laws live in Glendale (their house is being renovated for 6 weeks) so after that we could stay there and meet you somewhere in mesa! LOVE water parks! Good readers!

The Lusks said...

I can't believe how big your family is getting. I definatly need to come down and see you guys. I love reading your blog and keeping up with your cute family.
Love,
Shae